If you have been seeking for an exciting new way to keep your cat active, then you need to consider getting a creatively designed sturdy cat trees or condo for her.
We all know that our cats will be much healthier and happier if they are more active. A sturdy cat tree is a great way to entice your kitty to start exercising more often and more regularly. It has been proven that increased activity not only helps your kitty physically, it offers tremendous benefits for their mental health as well. Today’s cat tree models have become increasingly more sophisticated and also more decorative. So we should examine at what is available today, and how to go about choosing the best cat tree for your cats.
The benefits of having a cat tree are numerous
Most people are not aware that cat trees are not only for climbing and jumping. These trees also fulfill other natural instincts that all cats have. “A tree or condo allows your cat to be up higher, which gives him a feeling of safety,” stated Scott Russman from C & D Pet Products LLC.
Shelley DelRocco from Pet Tree Houses agrees with this assessment. “We came up with the acronym P.E.T. – a cat is a Predator, Explorer, and Threat assessor. The tree represents and satisfies many basic needs tied to those character traits. As a Predator, the cat uses it to seek prey and survey his domain. As an Explorer, he uses it to look for new vantage points. And as a Threat assessor, he uses it as a place to retreat to and defend himself if needed.”
A cat tree will provide your kitty with a place to sharpen her claws and quit using your furniture. And almost all of the trees out there offer lots of platforms and perches, and other unique features like hammocks and cubbyholes that becomes a place of security and comfort for her to nap when she is through playing.
Shopping for a sturdy cat tree
Prior to buying a cat condo or tree, you need to ensure that it will meet the needs of your cat.
- Think about what your kitty enjoys doing the most. “Some cats prefer to cocoon versus jumping to high places, so in those cases it might be better to choose a cat condo with an enclosed space like a tube, where the cat can feel secure,” Mario Arbore of Square Paws has stated. “Cats that are agile and like to jump on counters are more likely to take to a cat tree with height.”
- Next you will need to consider the number of cats in your home. “The holding weight tells you how many cats the tree can safely hold,” commented Andrea Krantz of Armarkat. “The first priority is safety, and too many cats on a tree engineered for less weight could quickly become a danger.” Therefore, the more kitties that you have, the bigger your cat tree will need to be. “Count the perches, hammocks and baskets, and make sure there is adequate access for each cat,” Andrea recommends.
- Stability and durability are extremely important. Because cats like to jump, the tree needs to have a low center of gravity and a solid base. “It should not rock back and forth to the touch,” Andrea added. She and Scott believe that a product ought to be made from wood. “The use of solid wood and plywood rather than particle board, cardboard or plastic will greatly extend the life of the tree,” Scott advises. It will certainly be pricier, but it will last much longer than a cheaper product.
- Depending on the specific manufacturer, the cat tree could be upholstered with either carpeting or sisal – or both. “Look for higher grade carpet,” Scott urges. Other popular materials that are often used include cozy faux fleece along with faux fur, which is a feature found in Armarkat’s trees, while Pet Tree Houses uses real trees branches with platforms covered with carpet in their products, and leave the bark wherever it is possible in order to offer a natural scratching surface.
Ensuring that your cat uses her new cat tree
The cost of a sturdy cat tree could actually get pretty high, depending on its complexity and size. So when you invest in a high quality cat tree, you need to ensure that your cat will use it as intended. Typically this is not a big problem, so long as it is placed in a spot that your cat prefers, like in front of their favorite window, or in a room where your family hangs most often.
Shelley points out that the more complexity that is put into a cat tree; it is actually more likely that your kitty is going to use it. “The cat is an explorer, and may quickly become bored,” she adds. We should seek a tree that have many amazing features such as hammocks, cubbyholes, ramps, and tunnels in addition to things like platforms and perches at various levels.
What if your kitty still ignores his cat tree? “Very often people get frustrated that their cat isn’t using the condo they’ve spent a lot of money on,” Mario replied. “I always tell them to try rotating it, or relocating it to a different place. A cat’s natural curiosity will beckon him to check it out in its new spot. “
Our Favorite Sturdy Cat Trees
Your cat will love this Frisco 57-Inch Cream Cat Tree. It is an ultimate hangout place for kitties, it offers perches at different heights for various perspectives. It is made up with bigger scratching posts than you will see in other cat trees, and that also means added durability and sturdiness.
It also has roomy cat condo is great for cats who adore having extra room to stretch. This is one sturdy cat tree.
- This all-in-one kitty tree offers a safe hideout, great toys, enticing scratching posts and various lookout perches at different levels.
- Has much bigger scratching posts than other ordinary cat trees, which are even reinforced for extra durability.
- Features scratching posts that are completely wrapped with sisal rope to withstand daily scratching from multiple cats.
- Large apartment has more space and room and lined using fabric made from ultra-plush sherpa fleece for maximum comfort. Contains hidden support bars for added sturdiness.
- Offers numerous dangling toys that entice them to play.
The PetFusion Modern Activity Tree is a great choice cat lovers who want a progressively designed cat tree. It is made from premium material that are scratch resistant and offers some nice artistic touches along with soft colors which will blend easily into your home décor.
Your cats will be able to play solo or with their buddies as they hide the coziest of cubby holes, keep watch from the top perch, or even satisfy their natural instinct to scratch its 30-inch sisal carpet scratching post.
- Made from premium furniture-grade material that will resist scratches and artistically designed to fit into your home décor.
- Has many features like a comfortable cubby hole, a soft top perch, or a 30-inch sisal carpet scratching post.
- Very durable premium material.
- Permits several cats to interact and play together.
- Comes with catnip spray for extra excitement.
You can provide your kitty with a cozy place to have lots of fun with this GoPetClub 62-inch Cat Tree. This is a cat tree that is covered with lots of natural sisal rope to help prevent your cat from tearing up your furniture.
This tree of tiers has a hanging rope for kitties to play with, it has a ladder that she can climb, a basket for her to hang out and relax, and several levels and soft perches. A nice way to encourage exercise, your furry buddy has endless ways to stay active, and even shy cats has a safe spot to hide or just relax.
- Cat trees provide vertical territory for your cat to claim as their own – which gives them a little home within yours.
- It provides a safe haven for timid cats, allowing her to feel secure.
- Cat trees encourage exercise, as it gives your cat a great place to climb, to run around and be as physical as she wants.
- Has posts that are covered with natural sisal rope that your cat will absolutely love.
- Tree contains a hanging rope, basket, ladder, and several levels and perches for added fun.