Dogs and cats are popular pets in almost every home these days. They contribute to the creation of well-being spaces by bringing joy and happiness to individuals and families. Everyone must be cautious when playing with cats and dogs because their claws are extremely sharp. Pet owners will regularly trim their nails to prevent themselves or their family’s property from being harmed by claws. Kittyworldly will show you how to properly and safely trim dog and cat toenails at home without causing pet fear in the following article.
Many people wonder why cats and dogs cut their claws. However, this is only true if the cats and dogs are allowed to roam freely and do not eat or sleep with their owners. You must exercise extreme caution when keeping pets indoors, bathing and cleaning them, because their claws are extremely sharp and hard, and long-term breeding will become a breeding ground for polar bacteria. If we hug our pets or they jump around us, these germs can spread and cause us to get sick.
Dogs and cats with overly long paws will struggle to move on flat, slick surfaces. Longer nails can break, bald on damaged umbilical cords, and infect dogs and cats. Furthermore, cats and dogs have a habit of digging and scratching things with their paws, which causes a lot of bacteria to grow in the house and damage the furniture. To be safe, we should regularly trim the toes of our dogs and cats.
Toe nail clipping instructions for dogs and cats?
- Step 1: Maintain a comfortable position, avoid showing fear, use the dog’s legs, and immobilize. If they protest running away, do not force them, as this will result in the opposite reaction from dogs and cats.
Step 2: First, cut two back toenails, then two front toenails. All procedures must be gentle and calm.
- Step 3: Cut the instep with nail clippers to expose the nails, then tilt at 45 degrees to accurately cut off the excess nails. To avoid causing pain, bleeding, or breaking the dog’s toenails, use a sharp tool and act decisively when cutting.
- Step 4: After trimming the dog and cat’s paws, use an old file to grind off the excess nails, reduce the sharpness, and stroke and caress the pet gently.
- Step 5: Finally, after cutting the toenails of dogs and cats, reward them with their favorite food. This will form a habit in them, and they will not resist the next time.
What should you know about trimming the legs of cats and dogs?
- You must use pet nail clippers along with a nail grinder and file. Prepare disinfectant, hemostatic powder, and cotton bandages in addition to cutting meat to prevent bleeding.
- When cutting, make sure to determine the exact position of the nail pulp and nails to avoid accidentally cutting cats and dogs.
- Toe nails should not be cut too short, and petting and directing the dog and cat’s attention in different directions will make it easier to cut.
- If the meat is cut and bleeding occurs, cover the bleeding area calmly, disinfect, and sprinkle pigment on the wound.
- If you lack the necessary experience and confidence, take your dog or cat to a center to have their toes trimmed.
Kittyworldly has provided you with additional information about cat and dog toenail clipping guidelines. After a few times, you and your pet will be used to it, and you will no longer be afraid of cutting toenails.